Friday 15 April 2011

Coast to Coast ride 2010 - Day 3 - "On my own"

Fri 12th – Day 3

The wind howled all night. In the morning it revealed grey blustery skies but thankfully no rain. I had checked the weather report and decided that I would press on. The weather said the wind was dying out and the weather was going to improve over the next day.

I set off late morning and had replanned my route yet again. Since the bridleways were all waterlogged I decided to stick to an onroad cycling route to get to Richmond in the Yorkshire dales 70km’s away.

The wind was still quite blustery and I was blown up the scary A685 past Kirkby Stephen, along English country lanes and into the Yorkshire Dales national park.

The wind still made the conditions very cold, but I was keeping up an impressive average speed as I followed the twisting ribbon road through the beautiful and stark treeless moorlands of the dales.

The scenary would have been so much more beautiful if I wasn’t so cold. But the sun did come out in the afternoon and I did brave an off road excursion into Richmond which turned out to be a little gem of a bridetrack. After that it was a quick 5 mile ride through rush hour Richmond and down to the Brompton on Swale camping barn which turned out to be a gem of place, with a hot shower and tea on arrival from the owner.

Daily Stats

Distance : 73km

Elevation gain : ???

Elevation loss : ???

Max Elevation : 600m

Min Elevation : 90m

Start Time : 11:10 AM

End Time : 4:10 PM

Total Time : 05:00

Riding Time : 03:45

Average speed : 19.2km/ph

Max speed : 77km/ph

Notes : Crossed yorkshire dales. 1k extra

1 comment:

  1. 77kmph - that's over 45mph!! Did you fix your speedo??! Was that coming down a 33% hill?

    ReplyDelete